Defensive driving is just another term for driving safe and alert on the road. Especially if you are driving during heavy traffic hours, defensive driving is a great way to protect yourself from accidents. Before you even get on the road, planning your trip and understand weather and road conditions is the first step in defensive driving.
Your safety doesn't just depend upon your own individual driving - there are many other drivers on the road, and their actions can affect your safety as well. This is why staying alert and understand the actions of other drivers can help you stay safe and avoid accidents when possible.
Here are a few ways in which you can practice defensive driving on the road:
- Check your mirrors every 5 minutes or so and always be aware of vehicles around you.
- Be courteous and allow other vehicles attempting to switch lanes to have the right away. Switching lanes in traffic can be dangerous and trying to fight others on switching lanes puts you at risk for an accident if the other car doesn’t see you.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, just in case you need to brake quickly.
- Be wary of aggressive drivers who may not be paying attention to blind spots.
- Make sure you follow the speed limit at all times while on the road.
Defensive driving can come in handy at all times on the road, but especially when driving in traffic or going on road trips. We hope these tips will help you keep safe on the road and if you find that your vehicle is due for maintenance or needs a repair, don't hesitate to give our professionals a call or stop by Peerless Automotive today!